Saturday 21 June 2014

Sewing

So this was me all set in front of the machine ready to go, what a scary moment!!
First touch of the pedal was terrifying, first I didn't press hard enough so the machine just whirred and clicked, then I pressed too hard and just about sewed my finger. But eventually I found my pace and was actually sewing!!
The first thing I realised was that my Mothers sewing machine HATES ME. 
Looks all nice and white and innocent doesn't it, but it's don't let that fool you, this machine is evil. The little bit that sticks out the foot kept hitting my fingers, the thread kept tangling up even though I did nothing wrong and every time I relaxed a tiny bit the machine would very slowly sneak my fabric into a different direction. 
Note to self: when your Mother is holding the fabric right under the needle and says 'put the foot down' she means the foot on the machine, NOT your foot on the pedal. I tried telling her that it was the machines fault but she wouldn't believe me. 
After lots and lots of swearing (mostly me at the machine) I really got going, flying down the long seam straight and steady feeling very proud of myself I then realised that it wasn't actually putting any stitches in the fabric. Mother to the rescue as my bobbin had run out and in her words 
'I'll do it, you'll just break it. . . again' 
I haven't broken it yet! How am I supposed to know that if the levers not at the top when you take your fabric out it will tangle up and stick?? I am a complete and utter novice which my darling Mother keeps forgetting.
A couple of evenings spent doing battle with the machine and I've sewn all my main panels and the pole casings, just the front panels to do then the complicated bit will begin!!
When this is all over you will find me curled in the teepee clutching a glass of wine and weeping with relief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment